[petsc-dev] clang is having some problems with elemental

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 4 23:45:33 CST 2013

>    And the reason is always in some way related to $

As with all decisions (time is money).  Jack chose to require the latest
compilers because it saves him development time.  PETSc supports ancient
compilers, MPI implementations, and Python because we think that the
time our users save by not having to upgrade their systems (even if we
think their reasons for not upgrading are bogus) is more important than
our time required to maintain that compatibility.

Apple continues to not assign a developer to make gdb and valgrind work
as well on Apple systems as on Linux/BSD systems because (evidently)
they think that the pain they inflict on the developers will not cause
those people to stop buying Apple products.  (I blame Apple for this
state of affairs because they take a working product and change
non-broken things in half-assed ways, like -framework and dsymutil, in
their highly-profitable proprietary system, then expect the developers
of those open source tools to volunteer their time and purchase Apple
hardware to maintain compatibility.)