[petsc-dev] clang is having some problems with elemental

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 4 22:51:44 CST 2013

Jack Poulson <jpoulson at cc.gatech.edu> writes:
> Version 0.81 of Elemental [1] should work with compilers that are
> several years old. I don't see what's wrong with downloading an older
> version of the library if only older compilers are available.

The Elemental interface has changed, so PETSc would have to absorb the
compatibility if we want to support Elemental with older compilers.  And
presumably you don't want to field bug reports and support mail for the
old version of the library.  You made a choice that has some costs and
some benefits.  People _can_ upgrade compilers, and if they want to use
Elemental, they'll have to.