[petsc-dev] clang is having some problems with elemental

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 4 22:40:17 CST 2013

> I guess our systems people or Linux package developers are not good at keeping up to date.

Well, real people use old compilers.  Elemental requires cutting-edge
compilers, so we just need to remember to only attempt to build it on
machines with the latest compilers.  I personally see no reason to ever
use old compilers, but some don't think that way.  Apple shipped gcc-4.2
for nearly six years after it was released and RedHat supports systems
for longer than that.  Microsoft quit maintaining their C compiler in
the 1990s, but still ships it.