[petsc-dev] Has anyone seen this?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:08:49 CDT 2013

>From Brad:

* mpich linking flags are broken/fragile for Lion and Mountain Lion

  mpich wants to add -flat_namespace to the linking flags. I think this is
based on --enable-shared-libs=osx-gcc. The flat_namespace doesn't work in
many cases on Lion and Mountain Lion-- it caused dynamic library loading to
fail for netcdf, resulting in odd segmentation faults. It took me a long
time to figure this one out. I finally found an email chain in the libmesh
mailing list discussing this problem. I am not quite sure how PETSc handles
building mpich on Lion and Mountain Lion. It may be extremely fragile in
that other things built with the mpich compilers may segfault when loading
dynamic libraries.

  I fixed this by simply removing the flat_namespace flag from the mpicc,
mpicxx, mpif90, mpif77 scripts after installing mpich but before using it.