[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-users] cannot find 'libz.a' when configuring

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 11 10:25:33 CDT 2013

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> > message

> > need
> > it.
> > something is

> > dependencies, but

> > --with-zlib-dir

> > hdf5
> > >
> > > In this case - why bother with libz.py and szip.py? Why not tell the
> > > user to specify hdf5 completely with --with-hdf5-include and
> > > --with-hdf5-lib options?
> > >
> > > Just printing the link errors on the screen might be sufficient to
> > > clue in the user. Currently its hidden inside configure. [And its not
> > > clear which of the 10 tests configure did for this case should be
> > > printed on the screen as the appropriate message]
> >
> > I might have been the one that advocated self.needsCompression approach
> > thats
> > currently in configure.
> >
> > This is currently used only by hdf5.py.
> >
> > My current thought is to strip it out - and just add it to hdf5.py as:
> >
> >     self.liblist   =
> > [['libhdf5.a','libhdf5_hl.a'],'['libhdf5.a','libhdf5_hl.a','libz.a'],['libhdf5.a','libhdf5_hl.a','zlib.lib']]
> >
> > This would be equivalent to the current functionality - and perhaps
> > what was there previously - before we wanted better error messages and
> > detection of zlib. Since this is not possible anyway why bother
> > with the additional complexity?
>

> What is not possible? Detecting zlib? Of course this is possible, and we do
> it.

The primary thing we need is detecting hdf5 provided by user requires
zlib [and or szip]. This is not poissible.

And current code can't detect zlib anyway [outside system locations]
so we need libz.py to detect it better.  But whats the point of it?
[detecting zlib or szip via --with-zlib-dir and --with-szip-dir options?]

When use has a mesages:

--with-hdf5=foo/bar provides does not work

I'd rather respond with:

Specify hdf5 and all its dependencies correctly with
--with-hdf5-lib,--with-hdf5-include options.

> It is not possible to know without testing what crazy link line is
> required by HDF5, at least I don't know how to do that.

yes

> This is no way affects the utility of testing for zlib.

But whats the point of testing for zlib - if not for hdf5? And if we
can't relate them automatically.

Satish