[petsc-dev] examples/benchmarks for weak and strong scaling exercise

Chris Kees cekees at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 10:04:50 CDT 2013

Hi guys,

Could somebody point me to some examples you guys routinely use for
weak and strong scaling studies (maybe even with scripts, option
files,  or prior results on recent hardware)? I'm thinking of 3D
Poisson with finite differences and geometric multigrid or something
like that.

We've been trying to work toward scaling studies of the field split
and Schur complement preconditioners for our multiphase flow solvers,
but I'm realizing that we need to do more thorough testing of the
petsc installation itself and make sure we're using timing/profiling
"best practices" and such.

We are using petsc-dev on the hardware below. I promise to quit using
petsc-dev as soon as the next release comes out:) Several versions of
PETSc are also installed by the system maintainers, but my sense is
that there is very little testing done on any of the installations.

http://www.erdc.hpc.mil/hardware/index.html

Chris