[petsc-dev] DMComplex and Coordinates

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:34:40 CDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Chris Eldred <chris.eldred at gmail.com>wrote:

> On the subject:
>
> How do coordinates work for user-defined DMComplex objects? What
> determines the Coordinate section (and which points does it contain?)?
> How is the coordinate vector set?

I am just rewriting this. Now it will be

  DMGetCoordinateDM(DM, DM *)
  DMGetCoordinates(DM, Vec *)
  DMGetCoordinatesLocal(DM, Vec *)

and there is a convenience

  DMComplexGetCoordinateSection(DM, PetscSection *)

By default, I read in the vertex coordinates from the mesh generator.
However,
the idea is that you can interpret the coordinates however you want. We just
give you a DM and a vector. You can construct the section however you want,
although without vertex coordinates some default things will not work, like
VTK
output.