[petsc-dev] making Beamer easier to start than Powerpoint

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 23:10:41 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2012, at 9:46 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >
> >    The allure of Powerpoint is I can just start it up and poke around
> the menus to put together a few slides that look ok very quickly. If I want
> a table I just hunt for table and do it, same with graph etc etc. But like
> all/most GUI based systems for anything once you want more detailed control
> or to automate something or to do something real complex Powerpoint becomes
> a massive pain.
> >
> >     Is there, or could we set up, a repository of Beamer "templates"
> that would make Beamer almost as easy as Powerpoint to quickly throw
> something together. Basically the source for a bunch of INDEPENDENT slides
> that do standard things people want to do with Powerpoint?
> >
> > Unfortunately, despite LaTeX being better than the alternatives, it's
> still terrible for libraries. Slides don't stand alone all that well
> because they need certain preamble includes (like TikZ packages).
>
>    So can we blame Knuth for this or is it  Leslie Lamport's fault?
>  Anyways this is is a majorly bad design decision someone made way back.
>
>    Maybe we can make a beamer preprocessor that takes all the "preamble
> stuff" from all slides and passes it all up to the preamble before running
> latex? Cause this is a stupid limitation.

But I never spend any time on this "limitation". I dump everything I need
into one file, and rarely change it.
I could see putting time into a solution for something that costs me much
more time, but not for something
that I can essentially ignore.

I think you started out wanting boilerplate slides, like Powerpoint, which
do indeed save time.

    Matt