[petsc-dev] -ksp_monitor and different norms

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 25 13:03:02 CDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Mark F. Adams <mark.adams at columbia.edu>wrote:

> How should I go about getting -ksp_monitor to report the infinity norm?

Preconditioned or unpreconditioned residual?

You would use KSPMonitorSet(). This may be handy enough that PETSc should
have -ksp_monitor_max. You can see the setup code in KSPSetFromOptions().
You could copy KSPMonitorTrueResidualNorm() or refactor so that both call a
common helper that takes an additional argument (the norm type). Or put the
norm type in the context data structure, I guess that's what it's there
for, but then you need a destructor.