[petsc-dev] misleading that ROSW uses SNES

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 15 23:32:14 CDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    It is seriously misleading that TSType rosw uses SNES as the solver
> since it is only using SNESKSP and the algorithm really is built around
> only linear solves.  Are you sure that using SNES is the right model for
> this family of algorithms? Convince me.

1. Consistency in where the callbacks and matrices are stored.

2. Consistency in configuration of Krylov methods and preconditioners.

3. Lack of order-dependence when configuring the above.

4. Ability to TSSetType() part way through a run without needing to
reconfigure all of the above.

5. It's sometimes useful for debugging to run the Rosenbrocks with a true
nonlinear solve.

6. Ability to debug Jacobian correctness using SNES infrastructure.

7. No need to duplicate -snes_fd_coloring support outside of SNES.