[petsc-dev] migrating repos from petsc.cs.iit.edu to bitbucket.org

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 17 10:48:32 CST 2012

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > I guess it could b:
> >
> > - I make changes to petsc-release/buildsystem, commit
> >

> This create a new head in petsc-release/buildsystem (but not in
> petsc-release).
>

> > push petsc-release
> >  [error with buildsystem push - so merge with petsc-release, push]
> >
> > - Barry makes changes to petsc-release/buildsystem, commit push
> > petsc-release.
> >   Error with petsc-release push - so, pull, merge petsc-release. This will
> >   also pull,merge corresponding buildsystem. now commit and push
> > petsc-release.

This presumably merged the new head [in petsc-release/buildsystem]
that I created with the new head that Barry created in his clone?

BTW: am I correct in assuming that this head won't get pushed to
buildsystem unless 'petsc-release -> petsc-dev -> push to bitbucket'
process is completed? So in that intermediate time - petsc-release
will point to a non-existant buildsystem state?

Or will a push of petsc-release won't succeed until the above
'petsc-release -> petsc-dev -> push to bitbucket' process is
completed?

> >  [error with buildsystem push - so merge with petsc-release, push]
> >

> Right, go to petsc-dev, pull petsc-release, merge (applies to both
> petsc-dev and petsc-dev/buildsystem), and push.
>

> > BTW: from http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Subrepository
> >
> > * There's no support for merging across renaming/moving subrepos *
> >
> > So changing 'BuildSystem -> 'buildsystem' will cause grief with subrepos?
> >

> I think we should do the rename first.

Then we should perhaps wait till the next release [just before the
release - when no more patches will be merged from petsc-3.3 to
petsc-dev] before making these changes?

[I don't think its appropriate to make this change for a petsc-3.3 patch update.]

Satish