[petsc-dev] migrating repos from petsc.cs.iit.edu to bitbucket.org

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 16 11:14:17 CST 2012

I'm in the process of migrating repos from petsc.cs.iit.edu to
bitbucket.org, and have to resolve a few organization issues.

Restrictions.
- all repos should be lowercase
- no subdir organization possible [like http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/externalpackages/]

1. Since we are forced to change reponame from 'BuildSystem' to
'buildsystem' - I'd like to take this opportunity to change it to
'buildsystem-dev' to be consistent with petsc-dev. i.e instructions
will be:

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/petsc/buildsystem-dev petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem

or

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-release
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/petsc/buildsystem-release petsc-release/config/BuildSystem

and current clones would need updates to .hg/hgrc only.

one alternative was to change the path in source to
petsc-dev/config/buildsystem but it will cause some breakage and other
inconsistencies in source file naming scheming - so I'm against that

another alternative is to use 'petsc', 'buildsystem', 'petsc-release',
'buildsystem-release' [but we have too much baggage referring to
petsc-dev, with a mailing list etc reusing this name]

2. I plan to reorganize external package repos [that we might have
patches for] with a pkg prefix.

i.e
http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/externalpackages/metis-5.0.2
http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/externalpackages/parmetis-4.0.2

to:
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/pkg-metis-5.0.2
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/pkg-parmetis-4.0.2

etc..

3. Are AMS, ctetgen, win32fe special packages and be listed at toplevel?
currently ctetgen is listed under 'externalpackages'. Should it be at toplevel?

i.e

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/win32fe-dev
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/ams-dev
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/ctetgen-dev