[petsc-dev] http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-11-12/intel_brings_manycore_x86_to_mar ket_with_knights_corner.html

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 12 22:01:39 CST 2012

>> In terms of raw numbers, $2,649 for 320 GB/sec and 8 GB of memory is quite a
>> lot compared to the $500 of a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition at 288 GB/sec and 3
>> GB memory. My hope is that Xeon Phi can do better than GPUs in kernels
>> requiring frequent global synchronizations, e.g. ILU-substitutions.
>
> for comaprision the tesla 2090 we have costed over 3k each - and provides 177 GB/sec [with 6GB ram]
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-servers.html

Oh, yes, that reminds me of one of the great moments of my GPU computing
experience so far. We had a GTX 470 (~$400) in our test machine, but
somehow hoping to get access to a Tesla because of the much higher
double precision peak performance reported. We begged NVIDIA and they
finally donated a Tesla 2050 for testing purposes. So, the day the board
arrived, we were all excited about the expected extra punch for our
iterative solvers to observe. What we ended up with was ~10% below the
performance of the GTX 470 even in double precision, just because all
these operations are so heavily memory-bandwidth limited. Also, for most
simulations we carried out even the GTX 470 was sufficient, and when we
really wanted to go to the limits of the work-station, the 3 GB on the
Tesla wasn't enough either.

Lesson learned.

Best regards,
Karli