[petsc-dev] http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-11-12/intel_brings_manycore_x86_to_market_with_knights_corner.html

John Fettig john.fettig at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 19:49:23 CST 2012

The K20 sounds like it will be priced at around $3200, which makes this
card cheaper than the NVIDIA offering.  Plus, the floating point throughput
really isn't the sticking point for PETSc-based applications that are
memory bound.  Also consider that 3 GB of memory to split up the work
hundreds of ways is a little on the small side.  8GB is a little more
reasonable.

Then add on top of this the fact that you could simply recompile PETSc, run
it natively on the card, and still run it on your CPU's as MPMD.  All in
all this seems like a big win for portable, maintainable code that can take
advantage of an accelerator.

Regards,
John