[petsc-dev] PetscSection

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 15:49:31 CST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Everything is just a point, so I get back mixed dimension things all the
>> time. I
>> usually separate by stratum.
>

> Okay, but what is the compelling use case for DMComplexGetStratumIS()
> returning mixed-dimension that cannot be reasonably accomplished by getting
> dimensional ISs and union/concatenating them?

I am not sure I understand. Labels just define point sets. If you want
to segregate point
sets by dimension, that is fine. Nothing in the interface is sensitive
to this, nor should it be.

>> You don't need coordinates for interpolation?
>

> Are we talking about the same interpolation? If I have cell-to-vertex
> connectivity, I can create the faces without coordinates, yes.

Ah, we are not. Mesh interpolation.

The way I have done interpolation, you have to know the mesh dimension,
DMComplexGetDimension(), and then it assumes that height 0 stuff is cells
of that dimension.

their experiments lead.