[petsc-dev] PetscSection

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 10 15:22:03 CST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I agree completely with batching of this kind, which is why my
> integration
> functions look like they do. However, the topology information is not
> really needed
> in these kernels. Instead you are packing discretization information, like
> FEM coefficients, or geometric information like Jacobians, which are
> all controlled
> by PetscSection, not by the DMComplex.

At the time you call an element residual kernel, you definitely need that
information. Now the question is how much should bubble up to higher levels.

Because I think topological dimension is an important attribute (I think
the library should be able to distinguish tets from quads), I was only
proposing using topological dimension more explicitly. Karl suggests one
step further in delineating the specific topology. My concern with that is
keeping a contiguous index space. If there is sorting by cell topology, you
no longer have to store size explicitly for each point in the coneSection.