[petsc-dev] GASM

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 29 09:04:16 CDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:58, Dmitry Karpeev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I am not sure how to solve the problem of the relationship between
> KSPReset() and PCReset() when the pc is being shared.
> How useful are KSPReset() and PCReset() anyway? All but one uses I found
> were "trivial" -- called from a PCReset_XXX, where XXX uses a KSP
> internally. The only nontrivial use I found was in VIRS, where the KSP and
> PC are reset when the active set changes.  Would a simple KSPDestroy() do
> here instead?  Perhaps there are uses of KSPReset()/PCReset() in user code,
> though.

The purpose of all the XXReset() routines is to destroy internal data
structures so that the size of the matrix can be changed without needing to
reconfigure a new solver. For example, an AMR simulation would change the
mesh, create new matrices and vectors, but want to reuse a solver
_configuration_.