[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Statistics on the popularity of PETSc

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 28 13:49:45 CDT 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Fredrik Heffer Valdmanis wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Do you guys have any recent up-to-date numbers on for instance:
> > >
> > > - The number of PETSc downloads per month
> > > - The number of projects that use PETSc
> > > - The number of users of PETSc
> > >
> > > or anything else that may be used when discussing the popularity of
> > PETSc?
> > > I have seen some numbers on Matt's home page regarding hits on Google,
> > > references on Google Books etc., so I can easily get updated such numbers
> > > myself, but I would greatly appreciate it if you have anything to share
> > > with me.
> >
> > I have the following statistics..
> >
> > [2011] Total petsc tarball downloads                : 43335
> > [2011] Unique machines requesting tarball downloads : 12979
> > [Today]Total unique e-mail ids in mailing lists     :  1138
> >
> > Regarding projects using PETSc - we have some incomplete info at:
> > http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/publications/index.html
>

> We need this all the time. Can we put this somewhere we can all find it,
> maybe with a methodology description.

I had some manual process to get this info. But now I have a script
[still a bit crude - and can do with improvements] for the download
count part. I might still have to tweak this appropriately to get the
relavent info in the future [financial year vs academic year or
something else]

Wrt mailing list email count - its still a bit manual process [and
need admin access to the lists]

I've added in the script that I've used to get the recent download
count to petsc-dev at bin/maint/download-count.sh .  It also has
instructions on obtaining the email list count.

Satish