[petsc-dev] buildsystem: cusp location

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 16:32:35 CDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 16:14, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> Note: there is no such package for cusp/thrust to base a default - so
>> the upstream default thats currently implemented is fine [we are
>> supporting actuall use cases instead of fictious ones that don't
>> exist]. If such a package actually existed - then compilers would find
>> cusp/thrust automatically.
>>

> This one puts it in /usr/include/cusp/*.h, therefore we might expect
> --with-cusp-dir=/usr to work (just like every other package; even ignoring
> the "automatically looking in /usr").
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cu/cusp/PKGBUILD
>

> I will eat my hat if any mainstream linux distro does not put the headers
> in the appropriate include directory.

Isn't the final point here that we are trying to let the user do the
dumbest, easiest thing? Maybe no Linux distribution
does this, but we are trying to cope with bad input from a user not using a
nice distro.

The price we would pay for cleaning up our internals is demanding that
users think more about the configure input. This
is not always a good tradeoff.