[petsc-dev] buildsystem: cusp location

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 25 12:56:17 CDT 2012

2012/3/25 Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov>

> Cusp installer is nothing but unzip. The recommended installation
> methond is:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/cusp-library/wiki/QuickStartGuide
>

> Simply download the newest version of Cusp from here and extract the
> contents of each zip file to a directory. We suggest installing Cusp to the
> CUDA include directory, which is usually
>
>    /usr/local/cuda/include/ on a Linux and Mac OSX
>    C:\CUDA\include\ on a Windows system
>
> If you are unable to install to the CUDA include directory, then you can
> place the files somewhere in your home directory, for example:
> /home/nathan/cuda_libraries/cusp/.
>
> Warning: Do not install Cusp to a standard include path like
> /usr/local/include/. It appears that nvcc treats such paths differently
> than the suggestions above which causes errors like error: expected
> primary-expression before ‘<’ token.
> <<<<<<<<<<<
>
> In the above example  --with-cusp-dir=/home/nathan/cuda_libraries/cusp/
> would have worked.

Would it have been so hard to write
--with-cusp-include=/home/nathan/cuda_libraries/cusp/ if you don't want to
install with a normal layout?

> So when one specifies --with-cusp-dir=/opt/local to petsc configure
> and expects -I/opt/local/include to work - the install process was perhaps:
>
> cd /opt/local/include
> unzip cusp.zip
>
> [i.e equivalent to using --prefix=/opt/local/include]

What other package ever uses --prefix=.../include? Every one I know of
would expect you to say --prefix=/opt/local/ and it would place headers in
/opt/local/include.