[petsc-dev] buildsystem: cusp location

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 25 11:44:05 CDT 2012

So, I wanted to try out cuda (since I heard you can get 400x speedup) but I
ran into a problem with cusp. I specified where I installed cusp:
--with-cusp-dir=$HOME/local but configure gave the error:

         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for
details):
--with-cusp-dir=/opt/local did not work

Looking at configure.log, I see that flag passed to nvcc is -I$HOME/local
instead of -I$HOME/local/include. Investigating even more, cusp.py has the
following line:

self.includedir = 'include' # default and --download have different
includedirs

I consider this a flaw. Just because a library doesn't build a .so /
.dylib, we shove the header files anywhere? From what I can see, we could
either:

1) [backwards compatible] search both --with-cusp-dir=$FOO and $FOO/include

2) set self.includedir = 'include' permanently; not just in Install()

I was never any good at Jenga so (2) is what I prefer :-) Thoughts?