[petsc-dev] PCFieldSplitSetFields() API change

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 23 16:56:33 CDT 2012

This changed the API for PCFieldSplitSetFields(), but didn't update the man
page, src/docs/website/documentation/changes/dev.html, or the examples that
called the function (one of the two examples was updated later).

http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/rev/55721edbdaa2

But is this even the right thing to do? I always thought that when we
talked about non-symmetric pivoting, we were identifying fields in the
unpivoted system and that we would implement pivoting internally (restoring
the original ordering at the end of preconditioner application). Is there
an example that uses this flexibility so I can understand what's happening?

I'm very nervous to make the definition of a field a thing that involves
both input and output spaces.