[petsc-dev] dates of last change on PETSc web pages

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 20 22:27:40 CDT 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 10:23 PM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 21:59, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Oh, I think I see why I was confused now. I was talking about having a place holder (i.e. something like <div id="modified"></div>) in each page and that something would need to insert the output of $(hg log -l 1 --template '{date|dateiso}'). If I added javascript to the page then it would just get the date from a webservice ... which is pretty much worthless because the content wouldn't necessarily match the date.
>
> We could put the placeholder if necessary, but the date should not be in the checked-in source,

   Correct, date will not be in the checked in source.

> just in the result of "make alldoc".

   Incorrect, date will be in the manually written pages in your workspace automatically, make alldoc has nothing to do with it and will not touching the dates for the manually written pages.

   make alldoc will be putting the dates into the generated manual pages as the manual pages are built.

> Editing the pages is no biggie, Jed can give you a perl one liner to put the chunk of stuff you need added to each page.
>
> So you want the dates stored permanently in each webpage under src/docs/website (which would alter the commit history)?
>
> No

   Correct.