[petsc-dev] dates of last change on PETSc web pages

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 20 16:58:08 CDT 2012

> Do you have to manually change each web page? Hence they get committed
> with the current date? If change one file in hg in a week will it get the
> date when I made that change while the rest will have today's date?

For this update, yes, every page must be modified since we aren't doing any
fancy javascript / server-side programming (yet?). If you modify a file a
week from now, it will be that date once the website is regenerated. I'm
planning on putting this date generation in a script that runs in the
'update-web' rule unless there is a better rule?

Note, if we used some kind of server-side programming, one could argue it
could be automatically (with less html code) but the cons of that would be
1) requiring more software on the server, and 2)  learning a new
programming model. FYI, the date generation could be done in javascript if

http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/file/tip/src/docs/website

?