[petsc-dev] petsc release soon

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 12 14:09:32 CDT 2012

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Sean Farley wrote:

> > I agree that petsc/include/petsc is stupid. I see no reason to change the
> > perfectly logical include/private just to match what
> > some idiot programmers did.
> >

> Huh? So, if I install petsc with a --prefix, and (god-forbid!) some other
> project also has a 'private' directory, then there's now a conflict. Jed
> isn't just pulling this convention out of his ass here.

1. the convention to avoid such conflict is not renaming internal dirs
- but using a toplevel namespaced dir.

i.e /usr/include/petsc/petsc.h, /usr/include/petsc/private etc..

2. I think autoconf supports options to choose the include install in
either /usr/include or /usr/include/petsc. [is it the includedir
option?]

Satish