[petsc-dev] What needs to be done before a release?

Blaise Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Sun Jun 3 08:15:52 CDT 2012

On Jun 1, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2012, at 1:34 PM, Blaise Bourdin wrote:

>>> Huh, what? We don't want to require an explicit interface! Where is this change? What is the url of the change you made? Did you put it in petsc-dev or petsc-3.3?  Why do you need to change it to require an explicit interface.
>>>
>>> Be like Jed and when you say you made some change include the url business so people can jump immediately to the change you are talking about instead of wasting 1/2 and hour trying to find something they cannot find.
>>
>> Apologies, will do next time. That would also have helped me realize that I had pushed to my own clone, not petsc-3.3 or petsc-dev repository... I am attaching the patch I was planing on submitting.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, what is the rationale for not wanting an explicit interface? As far as I understand, the fortran standard mandates an explicit interface in this situation (array of strings).
>
>     I'm confused. F77 supported passing an array of strings but doesn't even have the concept of an explicit interface so how can flater require an explicit interface for the exact same call?
>
>     Is it because you want to use size(FArray) instead of looking for the '' string?

yes, I was trying to get rid of the static maximum size for farray. There are two hard-coded static sizes in PetscBagRegisterEnum: that the number of entries is less than 97, and that the length of each of the enum name is at most 98 char. The error message you get with an enum with more than 97 entries is not very informative.
I don't know how to get the size of the list of names without using the size function.

Are these static length a big deal? probably no.

>> I would understand in the situation of pure f77 compatibility for instance, but we threw this away with the iso_c_binding module anyway...
>
>    I want the user experience to be as close to f77 (what they are used to) as possible and not introduced unnecessary flater crap.

That's fair.

Blaise
--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA