[petsc-dev] Ghost values in sieve

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 23 12:16:13 CDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Chris Eldred <chris.eldred at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks- that helps a lot. If I need stencils that are larger than
> closure(p) U star(p) (for a higher-order finite difference method, for
> example), I assume that I need to create my own PetscSF's that
> describe which points need to be ghosted?

Is this still a fully unstructured method? The Sieve formalism doesn't give
you a very efficient way to do this for structured or semi-structured grids.

Even so, if wider stencils are to be supported, I think it should be
implemented within the library. Doing it outside with the current
infrastructure is going to be quite a rabbit hole.

> Is there some documentation or example code that explains the theory
> behind star forests?

Docs for the basic operations:

http://59A2.org/files/StarForest.pdf