[petsc-dev] YAML patch take 3

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 17 14:42:01 CDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Blaise Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> wrote:

> Should there be a rule for inclusion in the release tree vs. development?
> For instance that patches cannot change or delete a public interface and
> must pass all tests?

The minimum requirement must be that they are binary and source-level
compatible. That means that no public symbols can be renamed, no public
structures can be changed, and no interfaces can be changed. So it
basically only allows private changes within the same API and
non-conflicting new APIs.

Now implicit in the "pN" naming that these patches are strictly bug fixes.
That isn't strictly true, and if we are going to put new (but always
"safe") functionality into the release branch, I would prefer to do it as a
subminor release. This is the conventional meaning of subminor release, so
it's perfectly acceptable in my opinion.