[petsc-dev] why does MatCreate_MPIDense still exist?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 13 13:48:27 CDT 2012

   1) One problem is all the parallel MatMatSolve() use the MPIDense matrices.  What is the likelihood that they could be changed to use the elemental matrices (note that with the MPIDense matrices using the simple array format the MatMatSolve() codes are very straight ward and do not need crazy remappings.

     2) The MPIDense matrices use MatGetArray() all over the place; which would not work with any non-trivial cyclic storage crap that those guys love. I may need to write a temporary MatMPIDenseGetArray() until the MPIDense business can be resolved.

     Do we need to keep MPIDense around and just strip out all of it that uses plapack? If that is possible?

   Barry