[petsc-dev] Semismooth Newton

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 2 08:06:08 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Todd Munson <tmunson at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Todd Munson <tmunson at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I am all in favor of actually specifying a VI externally and then
> > internally formulating the appropriate augmented system.  This is what
> > I do in other contexts (i.e. PATH for GAMS/AMPL).  Some things you
> > probably want to do with such an interface is differentiate between
> > linear and nonlinear constraints -- you do need second derivatives
> > for nonlinear constraints and they should be convex.
> >
> > Why not treat it as always nonlinear with the trivial second derivative
> in the linear case?
>
> You can if you want.  I would say that one benefit of splitting is that
> sometimes
> roundoff errors can be an issue and isolating the linear parts (which are
> just
> data) from the nonlinear parts may help.  It depends on your Newton method
> though.  Knowing that your constraints are linear also means that you
> do not need to worry about the Hessian of the Lagrangian.  Adding and
> dropping linear constraints is would also seem to be easier since
> there is no penalty to be paid since the Jacobian does not need
> to be modified.
>
> One interesting thing is that for nonlinear constraints, your Jacobian
> matrix in the upper right hand block is the summation of a general matrix
> (the Jacobian of F(x)) and a symmetric matrix (sum_i lambda_i nabla^2
> c_i(x),
> where lambda is the Lagrange multiplier).  Is there a good matrix storage
> scheme for this combination?

How does one precondition a system like that?  Presumably, the user may at
best be able to provide a preconditioner for JF.

If JF responds well to multigrid, then it may be possible to use AMG-KKT
to coarsen the constraint Hessian, but how does MG perform for the sum
JF + Hc?  There is also the problem of smoothing, although, if JF and Jc
are sparse, then DD may be an option with a direct solve on subdomains.

Anything more definitive on preconditioning these systems?

Dmitry.