[petsc-dev] MetSetBlockSize issue

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 25 16:33:56 CDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Mark F. Adams <mark.adams at columbia.edu>wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2012, at 3:48 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

> assert(pc_gamg->col_bs_id != -1 );
> pc_gamg->col_bs_id, data_cols ); CHKERRQ(ierr);

> get this to PtAP.

> >> This is an architectural/API decision.  I will do what you and Barry
> want.  You could add a parameter to PtAP, or add a field to Mat (column
> block size), or whatever.
> >
> >   Mark,
> >
> >     I'm leaning towards setting a column block size,
> MatSetColumnBlockSize(). But what exactly is a "column block size"?  Is it
> really a column blocksize in the sense that nbs columns next to each other
> always have the exact same nonzero pattern: for example
> >
> > xx  00   xx 00
> > yy  00   yy 00
> > zz  00  zz  00
>
> No.  The blocks are dense for smoothed aggregation but for geometric MG
> and classical AMG the blocks are scaled identity.
>

> > or is it a more vague thing that defined by "well if you compute Pt A P
> the result has a blocksize of nbs".  In that case we would provide a
> MatSetVirtualColumnBlockSize()
> >

> All I really need is for the coarse grid matrix to have the block size,
> because that is used to create a graph (for "vertices" not equations).  The
> method that constructs the prolongator knows the block size, so I attach it
> to P.  I could actually attach the block size to the coarse matrix in the
> way that I do with P, or pass it around as a parameter internally, I
> suppose.

Actually, in my opinion, this is the cleanest solution: attach the column
block size to P and then to Ac = PtAP.
All of this currently happens inside GAMG, which has access to the composed
datum's id.
Otherwise we are expanding the API with MatSetVirtualColumnSize(), which
basically has no meaning outside GAMG.
I think the data composition mechanism exists exactly for these specific
cases.

Dmitry.