[petsc-dev] Reminder: *every* symbol with extern linkage *must* be namespaced

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 15 12:42:57 CDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:17, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   We use MPIU_XXX as a replacement for missing/broken/...    MPI_XXX
>
>   The reason they start with MPI is to indicate their very close
> relationship with their "true" MPI cousins.
>
>    I think the natural replacement is PETSC_MPI_XXX, if we make this
> change then the "obvious" connection to MPI_XXX is weaker. But proper
> naming spacing does dictate we make this change.

Note that there are also functions, e.g. MPIU_File_read_all(), which could
become Petsc_MPI_File_read_all() or PetscMPI_File_read_all() as you prefer.

I'm providing other implementations of MPIX_Iallreduce() which I'd like to
namespace consistently. Is it PetscMPI_Iallreduce(),
Petsc_MPI_Iallreduce(), or something else?