[petsc-dev] Reminder: *every* symbol with extern linkage *must* be namespaced

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 15 10:34:58 CDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 13:16, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I have fixed the logging variables and a few others. The following
> incantation will show you a list of the symbols that are not currently in a
> "claimed" namespace (either directly or through bundling). These are
> arguably already too promiscuous, but the symbols that this does not filter
> out should probably be fixed.
>
> $ nm --print-file-name mpich-static/lib/libpetsc.a |sort -k 3 | grep '
> \(B\|D\|C\|T\) ' | grep -i -v '
> \(XXT\|XYT\|Xi\|TetGen\|Vec\|Mat\|Petsc\|KSP\|PC\|SNES\|DM\|TS\|PF\|IS\|AO\|Characteristic\|ClassPerf\|EventPerfLog\|EventRegLog\|spbas_\|f90array\|mpifcmb\|SPARSEPACK\|MPIU_\|MINPACK\|admf_\)'

Why does PETSc use the MPIU_ prefix? MPICH2 uses it internally for
"utility" routines. Should that stuff become PetscMPI_ or similar?

http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Function_Name_Prefix_Convention

Also, perhaps we should set up a board like this to highlight global naming
violations.

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/todo/globsyms.htm