[petsc-dev] Why does Kernel_A_gets_inverse_A_5() have a different interface than all the others?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 22 08:24:46 CDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 5:56 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

> I find this pretty awkward.
>
> changeset:   15256:4a570cebd663
> user:        Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
> date:        Sat Feb 27 21:33:12 2010 -0600
> summary:     minor optimizations

   You need a better system for mailing this fragment above. It should contain a web link where I can click on it and go straight to the change set in my browser instead of spending 1/2 an hour fucking around with 15256:4a570cebd663 and trying to see what it is.  Don't you know that all us folks under 20 can only click on links?

> Was your plan to extract the work space for all the variants?

   Likely eventually, my concern was that work array having to be arranged 1000s of times, once for each function call and I was trying to get the best possible performance for block size 5.   But looking at it now, maybe the better thing to do is to inline all of these functions, then maybe the compiler will be smart enough to keep the same work array for all calls, and we won't have to worry about passing in the work space??? Other ways to get the best performance???