[petsc-dev] preallocation

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 20 02:44:50 CDT 2011

I'm so tired of calling a different preallocation variant for each matrix
format.

MatMPIBAIJSetPreallocation() has enough information to preallocate
{Seq,MPI}{AIJ,BAIJ}. Should we make this one call enough?

Downsides:

If the user wants to allocate some special pattern within blocks, this would
fill it all in, so they would have to check the types and call only the
version that they really want.

Old code calls all these functions which could mean a lot of reallocation,
they can change the code to only call this one function.