[petsc-dev] How do you get RIchardson?

Vijay S. Mahadevan vijay.m at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 18:59:10 CDT 2011

Couple of other things:

> I think Vijay intended to distinguish the A in the solve step from the A in
> the residual. Assume the iteration
> x_{n+1} = x_n - J(x_n)^{-1} F(x_n)

Jed, yes. Thats what I meant. Thanks for clarifying. Thats what I get
for sending emails when listening to a talk.

>   This was actually one of my largest concern with the previous SNESPICARD is lots of people would think it implemented "Picard with solve".

Barry, I was originally confused with the Picard solver (I assumed
that it took a linearized Jacobian) when it was introduced around 3.0
until I looked at the code. I dont have access to the code at the
moment but just curious as to what has changed now with Picard.

Technically, you could get away with doing the actual Picard as
implemented in the original SNESPICARD (as clarified by Jed) by
providing the identity as the Jacobian for the Newton solver. But I
guess the terminology (newton/picard) might offend people looking for
specific nonlinear methods in the pure sense and without adequate
documentation/explanation, users might be confused. I personally do
like the existing 'newton' ! But if you want to be strict about the
naming, I am not sure what you would call the class since it is
malleable enough to accomodate other formulations that Barry
mentioned.