[petsc-dev] How do you get RIchardson?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 16 17:16:15 CDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 00:09, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, you can accomodate your "Picard" iteration as Newton, but we cannot
> accomodate the Picard iteration for
> a system of nonlinear equations with that. So I made a class, named Picard,
> to accomodate it. Are you really
> still arguing about this?

This was a ridiculous argument when we first had it two years ago. I don't
like using the name Picard for the implementation because it doesn't do what
most PDE solver people refer to as Picard. Since both cases are strict
subsets of what mathematicians call Picard, I don't think the name should be
used for that thing in PETSc. Richardson is fine with me.