[petsc-dev] Stokes flow code PETSC

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 12 10:37:55 CDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 17:20, Jie Chen <jiechen at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> One case though, that I think it would be more convenient if the options
> specified in the file are overridden by command line options is, when people
> want to tune parameters. The varying parameters are better changed in
> command line than in the options file. In the case that for some reason the
> file already specifies the parameters, I would like to see them overridden
> by command line options.

I agree about usually wanting the command line to have priority. The
question is

1. Is it any hardship to always put -options_file first in the command line
so that later args always override it?

2. Is it more confusing to have -options_file parsed first, or to have all
options parsed in the sequence where -options_file is effectively an
"include"?