[petsc-dev] rebase question

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 5 08:26:30 CDT 2011

On Sep 5, 2011, at 6:19 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 13:04, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> But this is not what Barry is complaining about. I agree that it would be nice not to jiggle files that were not
> affected by the change, but he is saying that files which were affected are annoying. As Satish points out,
> this happens even with update. Therefore, I agree with Sean's suggestion that he put the crap in his Emacs
> setup.
>
> My point was that rebase jiggles files that merge does not. I think this is also what Barry is complaining about

   Of course.

   Come on, it is total bullshit (as Jed notes) that these systems change the mtime of files they don't need to touch. That is moronic, I don't care how much "easier" it makes their life in writing hg and git.

   All of you "rebase is great folks" with your excuses of "Barry should just change his emacs settings" is a work around for a stupid "feature" of rebase.

    Barry