[petsc-dev] rebase question

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 4 22:48:55 CDT 2011

> It bugs the heck out of me that hg "edits" files that I have committed and
> then did a hg rebase with, so that next time I try to edit in my Emacs
> buffer it asks me if I "really want to edit the buffer". Of course it wants
> me to type yes or no but I'm busy typing away and this destroys my train of
> thought.

Isn't there an Emacs setting to automatically answer 'yes' or 'no'? After
googling:

(global-auto-revert-mode t)

> What's up with this behavior and is there some way to prevent it; it makes
> rebase too painful to consider.

Ok, one, "too painful to consider?" Really? Come on now, just have Emacs
auto-load from disk. If a file gets loaded from disk that you didn't want
reloaded, then you should still have the previous version in an 'undo'
buffer. Two, I've talked with Jed about this, and it occurs because of the
way that mercurial does rebasing on the working directory instead of just on
the metadata. The "right" way to fix this would be to submit a patch to the
mercurial guys that does a rebase on the metadata (and not the working
directory). Perhaps after Jed gets back from Zurich, we could force him to
write it. I'll have to hide his climbing gear as ransom, though.

Sean