[petsc-dev] Better -help for -pc_factor_mat_solver_package

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 19 18:33:02 CDT 2011

This is currently being handled by having MatCreate() dynamically compose
all the possible (matrix format, solver package) combinations in the Mat,
but then we have no way to have -help list the possibilities. What about
having a static list

typedef struct _n_MatFactorSolverPackageLink *MatFactorSolverPackageLink;
struct _n_MatFactorSolverPackageLink {
  MatType type;
  PetscFList package_list;
  MatFactorSolverPackageLink *next;
}

MatFactorRegisterSolverPackage(MATMPIAIJ,MATSOLVERSUPERLU_DIST,path,"MatGetFactor_mpiaij_superlu_dist",MatGetFactor_mpiaij_superlu_dist);

I think Sean is volunteering to do this...

Also, what about using macro stringify to remove the repetitiveness in
XRegisterDynamic and PetscComposeFunctionDynamic? I also think we can
eliminate some of the boilerplate to make a new XRegisterDynamic. I think
that a macro solution would be no more mysterious than PetscTryMethod. I
dislike adding macros, but I do get tired of creating more boilerplate.