[petsc-dev] I hate Mecurial

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 8 12:52:14 CDT 2011

On Oct 8, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Dmitry Karpeev wrote:

> It looks like a missing file.
> ! proposal/.#bios.tex
> Was it added to the repo by mistake and then removed with a plain 'rm'?

   Hurrah, Dmitry got it right! And why can't Mecurial tell me this when it refuses to work? It knows this is exactly why it is halting, why not tell the user exactly this?

   Let's change all PETSc error messages to "Either you made a mistake or a PETSc developer made a mistake", this would make PETSc much better to work with since we'd only need on error message.

   Barry