[petsc-dev] programming model for PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 25 09:12:39 CST 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 09:02, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> This is a continuation of the thread started by Matt stating he wanted to
> use "vectorization" as the low level common kernels and I asked him for
> syntax (for example CUDA, OpenCL, ....) You are talking about something
> completely different and not relevant for that thread.

Okay, I misunderstood your question, but I think both steps are relevant.
The distribution we want between threads isn't computed with the same
methodology as a distribution between processes (certainly not in the case
of CUDA). I think we will always have some sort of pattern of applying a
transformation on the data (which may or may not involve network
communication), applying a vectorized operation, and reducing the result. I
don't have concrete suggestions for syntax or even primitives for this
multi-level case, but I think the communication can probably be described
by adding a partition or coloring to the CPU-based communication ideas we
were discussing in the other thread.