[petsc-dev] programming model for PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 24 17:09:24 CST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 17:00, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Next, I think we need example problems, as I said before. DM ex1 does mesh
> distribution, which I think should also include
> distribution of data over the mesh. I think we should add AMG, and FMM.
> With these three examples, we can prove this system
> is worthwhile. Any discussion of these examples, or other suggestions?

Mark also wants some sort of AMR (with or without load balancing). Can we
make the specification small enough and concrete enough that we can write
implementations in a small number of lines of code for proof-of-concept
evaluation?

In the ideal case, we would have multiple proposals for parallel primitives
and implement the test cases with each to compare expressiveness and the
performance potential, but that will only happen if the spec is very
simple. For this purpose, instead of the full test cases, could we just
identify one or two communication patterns that are representative of each
application and ask for an implementation of that. These could take the
form "I have some information distributed as ... and I have a
representation of the communication I want as ...". And this is starting to
look a lot like VecScatterCreate(), albeit perhaps with different data
types.