[petsc-dev] What is this for?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 16 06:09:58 CST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 00:47, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> So, this is basically what I think Barry meant ... except the whole /*R
> <flags> R*/ part.

I would want something equivalently verbose because it's HUMAN
documentation for how the variables are spelled. Even if the build system
is clairvoyant such that it knows what package each header comes from and
which variables it needs to link with, a human won't know that and likely
won't know where to find out. Spelling out those variables, which they can
query through the makefile include, a CMake include, or Python (preferably
with the same spelling in each case) makes it understandable.

I don't care about the specifics of the syntax, but I think the variables
should be spelled out.