[petsc-dev] What is this for?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 15 23:03:36 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 22:50, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Yes, we'll need to make sure that the public PETSc include files don't
> require goofy preprocessing but I think that is possible, it is only the
> source code files (and maybe some private include files) that need the
> goofy preprocessing.

I still don't like this. I think modifying (or copying) source files is
bad, not least because of interaction with the debugger, compilation
errors, and other builds with different configurations.

I wouldn't mind something like

#include <parmetis.h>  /*R CFLAGS:PETSC_PARMETIS_FLAGS
INCLUDES:PETSC_PARMETIS_INCLUDES LIBS:PETSC_PARMETIS_LIBS R*/

that would inform the build system that PETSC_PARMETIS_INCLUDES and flags
are required to build that file and that the libs are required to link. The
"normal" user can read the file and add that to their build system manually.