[petsc-dev] What is this for?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 15 22:44:30 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 22:39, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   Ideally we would not need to list the information separate from the
> source file. What should happen is the BuildSystem parses each source file,
> determines what includes are used and then passes to the compiler exactly
> the correct -I and no extra.  Or as alternative the BuildSystem behaves
> like CPP and actually puts the exact full path for each include into the
> source code just before passing it to the compiler. This takes the whole
> bothersome problem of the compiler searching through the -I paths to find
> the first include file with the same name and including it. In other words
> BuildSystem takes on more parts of the compile process away from the
> untrustworthy UNIX tools for compiling and linking.

I agree with the rest of your mail, but not this part. I think that the
build environment should be managed in essentially the same way for library
source code and examples. I also think it's important that examples be
relocatable to a user's own project and built with simple tools. If the
build system is doing goofy preprocessing, then users won't be able to
build it easily with their own tools.