[petsc-dev] What is this for?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 15 18:30:19 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 18:18, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I think this is a wholly bad idea. Putting build logic down in individual
>> makefiles is bad.
>

> Why should every object file be built with -I${VALGRIND_INCLUDE}? Why
> can't just the valgrind sources be compiled with the valgrind flags?

I agree. Including all the dependent libraries is more fragile. We use MPI
in our public interface (this is a good thing), so it's okay to include
mpi.h. All the other headers should not be in the public interface. Note
that this is also important so that they can link with -lpetsc instead of
needing -lpetsc -lvarious -lother
-llibs-that-are-different-for-each-configuration.