[petsc-dev] snes/examples/tutorials/ex27.c

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 15 18:06:54 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 18:03, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> What are you on? It is F(x) = 0. This embedding will not work for all
> problems, but it will work for many, and be easy. If you
> have a more complicated system, by all means us TS, however I am pointing
> out that there are useful regimes where this
> kind of embedding would work.

Is the underlying transient problem xdot+F(x)=0 or xdot=F(x)?

What happens if you enforce boundary conditions without eliminating them
(like almost every PETSc example)?

Just use the TS interface if time might be involved. Then you can do
everything.

Making assumptions about what the user meant when they were using a
lower-level interface doesn't help. And just to get an "enclosing TS", they
had to write some setup code. At that point, it's no more difficult to
implement the TS callbacks than to implement the SNES callbacks.