[petsc-dev] Problem with PETSC_NULL and variadic functions

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 10 09:14:33 CST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 08:23, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> No one thinks arrays are easier, however variadic functions are not
> interoperable, and it seems they can fail in
> weird ways even for C++. In my book, that is "not robust".

Format strings would make it explicit how many parameters you expected. You
could also specify global versus ghosted independently for each entry.

Even without the issues of passing NULL as a pointer, I'm concerned about
using variadic functions without any other indication of the expected
number of entries because of what happens if you add a DM to the
DMComposite, but forget to update every call site to match.